In order to achieve a successful outcome for your bike accident case, it’s crucial to choose the right law firm to represent you. Not all law firms are equipped to handle bike accident cases, so it’s important to find one with expertise in this area. Don’t make the mistake of choosing a team of personal injury attorneys that doesn’t understand the unique complexities of bike accidents.
Table of Contents
Committed Bike Accident Attorneys in San Diego Protecting Bicyclists’ Rights in California
When a driver collides with a bicycle, the outcome is often devastating for the bicyclist. The sheer size and power of a motor vehicle puts them at a significant disadvantage, leading to serious and sometimes fatal personal injuries. In contrast, the driver is often left unscathed.
HHJ Trial Attorneys is committed to advocating for the rights of injured bicyclists in California. We specialize in representing victims of serious bike accidents and fighting for fair compensation on their behalf. With years of experience and a deep understanding of the complexities of these cases, we are dedicated to protecting the rights of our clients and achieving the best possible outcome for their case.
Preventable Tragedies: The Impact of Bicycle Accidents in California
Despite the fact that bicycle accidents are preventable, they continue to occur frequently in California due to a disregard for traffic laws and general negligence. In 2021, the city saw a devastating 543 bicycle-related injuries and fatalities, including 24 victims who were minors. Across LA County, this number rose to a staggering 1,780. It is crucial for all road users to exercise caution and take responsibility in preventing these devastating incidents.
In 2019, 843 bicyclists lost their lives in accidents involving motor vehicles, according to a report by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS). Too often, drivers neglect to give cyclists the respect they deserve, engaging in distractions like texting or phone calls, driving at excessive speeds, and not providing enough space for cyclists on the road.
In this environment, it is vital for bicyclists to remain vigilant and focused at all times to protect themselves from harm. To ensure a safe bicycle ride, it is necessary to be proactive and vigilant. Here are some tips to prevent accidents while cycling:
- Wear a Protective Helmet – The first and foremost rule is to always wear a helmet that fits properly.
- Use Reflective Gear – Adding mirrors, lights, and fluorescent gear can increase your visibility to other road users and reduce the risk of accidents.
- Signal Your Intentions – Use hand signals to communicate your movements to drivers and other vehicles.
- Know the Traffic Laws – Always follow the rules of the road, such as riding in the same direction as traffic, unless turning left, passing, or avoiding hazards.
- Stay Focused – Avoid distractions like headphones or cell phones while riding.
Even with these precautions, bicycle accidents can still occur. It is essential to stay aware and prepared while on the road.
Severe Consequences of Bicycle Accidents
Our bicycle accident lawyers understand that bicycle accidents can have devastating consequences due to the lack of protection for the cyclist. The impact from a collision with a motorist or pavement can result in a wide range of injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Skull fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Lower extremity injuries
- Road rash
- Internal injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
A bike accident often results in very severe, catastrophic injury and can range from a traumatic brain injury to spinal cord injury and everything in between. With hardly any protection for the bicycle rider, an impact with another motorist and/or pavement can cause a wide range of injuries. Bike riders are also much more likely to suffer catastrophic injury.
The San Diego bike accident lawyers at the HHJ Trial Attorneys accept clients with all types of severe injury, including:
- Catastrophic and permanent injuries
- Long-term injuries such as brain injury or head injury
- Physical scars
- Emotional and psychological trauma
Bicycle crash survivors often live with the repercussions of their accidents for the rest of their lives. Working with a local bicycle accident attorney in San Diego can help you fight for maximum compensation for your bicycle accident case, including tangible and intangible damages like medical expenses, pain and suffering and more.
What Can You Recover After a Bicycle Accident With the Help of Bike Accident Lawyers in San Diego?
The vulnerability of cyclists in the face of motor vehicle collisions often results in severe, possibly devastating injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and broken bones. These injuries can incur costly expenses and impact one’s ability to work and earn a living.
Bicycle accident victims may file a claim to receive the following types of compensation with the help of our bike accident attorneys in San Diego:
- Economic Damages – Medical bills, both past and future, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, home or vehicle modifications, and replacement services like child care or home and vehicle maintenance.
- Non-Economic Damages – Pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of companionship.
It’s crucial to determine who is at fault for the accident through a careful investigation before pursuing a claim, as multiple parties may be held accountable.
Proving Negligence in Bicycle Accident Cases: Key Elements
- Accountability is essential in a bicycle accident lawsuit in California
- The party that caused your accident and injuries will be financially responsible for your losses
- Holding the correct party accountable may require an investigation from a skilled California bicycle accident lawyer
- The driver is often legally responsible, but other factors such as a pothole or bicycle defect could have contributed to the accident
- Proving negligence is the essential element in a personal injury claim in California
- Your lawyer must prove through a preponderance of evidence that the at-fault party was negligent and that this caused your injuries
- Gathering evidence from the scene of the accident, interviewing witnesses, and hiring a bike accident reconstructionist may be necessary to prove negligence
- The law firm has the resources to help build the strongest possible case against one or more defendants in California.
Critical Steps to Take After a Bicycle Accident
After a bicycle accident, it’s important to take the following steps to protect your health and your legal case:
- Assess injuries: Seek immediate medical attention, as even minor injuries can escalate if left untreated.
- Call emergency services: If anyone is injured, dial 911 and request a police report.
- Document the accident: Obtain the driver’s contact and insurance information, along with witness information. Write down details of the accident, and take photos of the scene if possible.
- Mind what you say: Avoid admitting fault or apologizing. Provide clear and concise details to the police.
- Seek legal help: Contact a personal injury lawyer to understand your options for recovery. In California, even if you’re partially at fault, you may still be able to recover a portion of your damages.
The Statute of Limitations for Filing an Injury Claim
In general, personal injury claims must be filed within two years of the accident. However, certain circumstances can extend or shorten this timeframe. If a government entity or public agency was involved in the accident, you may only have 180 days from the date of the incident to file a claim.
To maximize your chances of success, it’s advisable to seek the help of a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Insurance companies may try to offer you a low settlement, but with the help of a reliable law firm, you can ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.