Car accidents can be exceptionally stressful, especially if you happen to suffer serious injuries. You’ll have to obtain compensation for medical and financial damages while undergoing the recovery process. You’re also wondering about what’ll happen next and if you’ll be able to pay off all your bills and other expenses. In other words, the accident is taking a major toll on your personal life.
The good news is that an experienced San Diego car accident lawyer can answer all of your questions regarding your situation. Here are the five most important questions to ask your car accident attorney:
Questions to Ask a Car Accident Attorney #1 – How do I protect my case?
This is one of the most important questions to ask your car accident attorney. After the accident occurs, you’ll want to do everything within your power to protect your personal injury case. Your attorney will probably advise you to preserve evidence and not speak with the at-fault driver’s insurance provider about your injuries until you’re ready. Remember, your attorney needs to review all the facts of your case to determine the best path moving forward – and your job is to work alongside them to ensure the best possible outcome for your case.
Questions to Ask a Car Accident Attorney #2 – What damages can you recover?
Every accident is different in terms of the severity of the damages – it all varies case by case. In general, you can file an insurance claim that seeks compensation for damages from medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. Your attorney will also know exactly how to calculate the value of your case and put a number to the amount of money you should pursue in a settlement.
After a car accident, you may be able to recover damages for any injuries or losses you sustained as a result of the accident. This can include both economic damages, such as medical bills and lost wages, and non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering.
Some specific types of damages that you may be able to recover after a car accident include:
- Medical expenses: This can include the cost of hospital stays, surgeries, prescription medications, physical therapy, and other medical treatments.
- Lost wages: If you are unable to work due to your injuries, you may be able to recover the wages you would have earned during your recovery period.
- Property damage: You can recover the cost of repairing or replacing any personal property that was damaged in the accident, such as your vehicle.
- Pain and suffering: You may be able to recover damages for the physical pain and emotional distress caused by the accident.
- Loss of consortium: If the accident caused a loss of companionship or support for your spouse or other family member, you may be able to recover damages for this loss.
It is important to note that the damages you are able to recover will depend on the specific circumstances of your case and may be subject to state laws and other limitations. An experienced car accident attorney can help you understand what damages you may be entitled to and help you pursue the maximum recovery possible.
Questions to Ask a Car Accident Attorney #3 – Will you be able to cover future medical expenses?
Many serious injuries suffered in car accidents will often require continuous medical treatment. In some cases, the injury will worsen over time. However, your attorney will factor in any future medical expenses when negotiating a settlement with the insurance companies. They consider the different treatment options you’ll need, such as physical therapy, surgery, and more.
Questions to Ask a Car Accident Attorney #4 – Will your case go to trial?
Many people prefer to settle their cases out of court – especially the insurance companies. The vast majority of claimants never reach the point of filing a lawsuit. However, your attorney will always prepare for such a possibility. You should make sure that they have confidence in what they’re doing and a plan for arguing your case in front of a judge and jury.
Questions to Ask a Car Accident Attorney #5 – What can an experienced attorney ultimately do for your case?
Ultimately, this is your case, and you’re the one who approves any important decisions. Don’t hesitate to ask your attorney about the particulars of your case and how they can ultimately help you recover compensation for damages caused by the accident.
Also, keep in mind that your attorney will explain the entire scope of your case and how they’re going to handle it. They want you to feel confident in their abilities to represent you in any ongoing settlement negotiations. They should also provide you with a step-by-step plan of how they’ll handle your case.
An experienced attorney can provide a number of benefits for your car accident case. Here are some ways an experienced attorney can help:
- Investigate the accident: An experienced attorney will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the accident to gather evidence and identify any potential sources of liability.
- Analyze the damages: An attorney can help you understand the full extent of your damages, including both economic damages (such as medical bills and lost wages) and non-economic damages (such as pain and suffering).
- Negotiate with insurance companies: An attorney can handle negotiations with the other party’s insurance company and advocate for a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Prepare and file a lawsuit: If necessary, an attorney can help you file a lawsuit and represent you in court.
- Provide legal advice: An experienced attorney can provide guidance on the legal options available to you and help you make informed decisions about your case.
Overall, an experienced attorney can provide valuable assistance in navigating the legal process and pursuing the maximum recovery possible for your injuries and losses.
HHJ Trial Attorneys in San Diego – Legal Representation You Can Trust
Do you still have more questions to ask your car accident attorney? Here at HHJ Trial Attorneys, our legal staff will help guide you through the process of filing a car accident claim. Our goal is to ensure that all Californians recover compensation for damages from medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. Schedule an appointment with us today, and we can immediately begin reviewing your case. Our personal injury attorneys in San Diego are here and we are ready to help you.
Testimonial from Alec, Injured Car Accident Victim in San Diego
I got in really bad car wreck and my car was totaled. I got injured pretty badly and needed some guidance in what to do next. Attorney Jung was very helpful in getting me through the process and guiding me in recovery. Thanks so much!