San Diego Car Accident Lawyers
- Over 400 combined Google 5-Star Reviews
- Tens of millions won every year for our clients
- We won’t settle for less than the maximum value for your case
- 30 combined years of legal experience
Trusted And Recommended
Our team of experienced San Diego car accident lawyers at HHJ Trial Attorneys proudly serve victims who have suffered from serious injuries. HHJ is one of San Diego’s premiere personal injury law firms. We’ve obtained over ten million dollars for our clients within the last 4 years alone and have been voted the Best Litigation Firm for the last 3 years through the San Diego Union Tribune. All three partners have been voted as Super Lawyers and have received coverage from local and national news outlets.
Free Case Evaluation
California’s bustling roads witness numerous motor vehicle accidents daily, leaving innocent individuals injured due to others’ negligence. If you find yourself in such a situation, seeking rightful compensation becomes essential. At HHJ Trial Attorneys, we understand the challenges you face after a car accident, and our dedicated team of San Diego car accident lawyers is here to support you. With our expertise we will fight tirelessly to secure the compensation you deserve, enabling you to recover from your injuries and regain control of your life.
On this page you will learn more about:
- The importance of hiring an experienced San Diego car accident attorney
- How you can protect your rights if you have been involved in a car accident
- How a car accident attorney can help to diligently and aggressively resolve cases
- Why HHJ Trial Attorneys provides professional and personalized services
Table of Contents
Unfortunately, car accidents are a common occurrence in San Diego due to the high volume of vehicles on the road. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, over 20,000 accidents resulting in death or injury occurred in the area. Alcohol-involved accidents accounted for nearly 2,500 incidents, while motorcycle, pedestrian, and bicycle accidents numbered 1,731, 1,286, and 837, respectively.
From minor fender benders to devastating crashes, motor vehicle accidents can have life-altering consequences. If you or a loved one has suffered severe injuries or tragic loss, it’s crucial to retain the services of a skilled and proficient attorney. The aftermath of such accidents often involves exorbitant medical bills, rehabilitation costs, and potential disability that can hinder your ability to work and earn a living as before. But you have rights, and you are entitled to compensation for damages, including pain and suffering, emotional distress, anxiety, and depression.
At our firm, we comprehend that insurance companies may not have your best interests at heart when offering settlements. Their primary objective is to minimize payouts. Conversely, we strive for the opposite outcome – ensuring that you receive the maximum compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our experienced motor vehicle collision lawyers proudly serve clients all of San Diego County. Every case we handle is carefully investigated, and we stand prepared to go to trial if required. We take pride in aggressively advocating for our clients’ rights and interests, having negotiated hundreds of settlements at mediation.
Our expertise extends to all types of motor vehicle accidents, ranging from aircraft and bicycles to commercial vehicles and trains. Whether you were a pedestrian, a passenger on public transportation, or involved in an accident with a taxicab, we have the knowledge and skills to handle your case.
If you find yourself or a loved one injured in a motor vehicle accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for a free consultation. One of our attorneys will personally listen to your account of the accident and address all your questions about the legal process ahead. Our commitment to clients and each case we take on is unwavering, and you won’t incur any costs unless we secure a favorable outcome for you. We proudly represent clients in San Diego and surrounding areas, and we are ready to accommodate you, even if you cannot travel due to your injuries.
The prevalence of car accidents on California roads is alarming, with many of these incidents resulting from driver negligence. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries or lost their life due to someone else’s negligence, you have the right to seek financial compensation. At HHJ Trial Attorneys, our team of San Diego car accident lawyers brings extensive experience in advocating for car accident victims. Notably, some of our attorneys have previously worked on the insurance defense side, providing them invaluable insights into the inner workings of insurance companies in processing, settling, and litigating claims. Now, leveraging this insider knowledge, our car accident injury lawyers passionately serve clients in San Diego County. We are committed to utilizing our experience and expertise to benefit our clients, ensuring they receive the maximum compensation they deserve in every case.
There are several different types of car accidents that can happen not only in San Diego but throughout the country. Here are just a few examples of the common types of cases our legal team has helped navigate:
- Rear-end collisions: These occur when one vehicle strikes the back of another vehicle that is stopped or moving slowly. Rear-end collisions are often referred to as “minor”, however, they can cause serious injury to the individuals involved. The most common cause of rear-end collisions are the result of one vehicle following another vehicle too closely or a driver not paying attention to what is happening in front of them. It’s reported by the National Transportation Safety Board that approximately 1,7000 people die each year as a result of rear-end collisions.
- Head-on collisions: While this type of car accident only accounts for approximately two percent of all car accidents in the United States every year, they are the cause of nearly 10 percent of car accident fatalities. In most cases, part of what makes a head-on collision so dangerous is the rate of speed in which the two cars are going. In turn, a head-on collision could trigger other car accidents or injuries from drivers that are passing by.
- Side-impact collisions: These occur when one vehicle strikes the side of another vehicle.
- Single-vehicle accidents: These occur when a vehicle collides with a stationary object, such as a tree or a utility pole.
- Multi-vehicle accidents: These occur when multiple vehicles are involved in a collision, such as a chain-reaction accident or pile-up.
- Pedestrian accidents: These occur when a vehicle strikes a pedestrian who is walking or running.
- Bicycle accidents: These occur when a vehicle strikes a cyclist who is riding a bike.
- Motorcycle accidents: These occur when a vehicle strikes a motorcyclist who is riding a motorcycle.
- Wildlife accidents: These occur when an animal such as deer or moose runs into a vehicle.
- Pileups: Although pileups in San Diego are rare, they can cause catastrophic injuries. Pileups are multi-car collisions which usually gather some form of media attention as a result of how many cars are involved. The reason behind these types of injuries could be as a result of driver error or there are times when inclement weather is involved. An extensive investigation is usually needed to determine the fault.
- Rollover: A rollover car accident is incredibly dangerous for every person that is in the car. Rollover car accident account for approximately 35% of all traffic crashes. Unfortunately, the majority of the people who pass away as a result of a rollover were not wearing a seatbelt.
At HHJ Trial Attorneys, we understand the critical importance of conducting a swift and thorough investigation after a car accident. Preserving evidence is paramount, and we leave no stone unturned to ensure crucial information isn’t lost or compromised.
Our dedicated team evaluates evidence with meticulous precision, enlisting the expertise of qualified professionals to answer vital questions, including:
- Who was at fault for the accident?
- Who bears liability for the damages?
- What is the rightful compensation you deserve?
We leave no detail unexamined, collecting a wealth of evidence such as photographs, police reports, witness testimonies, hospital records, and more. This extensive information is vital to construct a robust claim and advocate for the best possible outcome for each of our clients – ensuring they receive full and fair compensation. When negotiating with insurance companies, we adopt a skilled and strategic approach, always keeping our clients’ best interests at the forefront. Should the need arise, we fearlessly represent our clients in the courtroom, determined to achieve justice on their behalf.
The most important thing that you need to do following a car accident is ensuring that you and anyone that may have been in the car with you is safe. The reality is that you can suffer from a wide range of possible injuries following your car accident. Just a few examples of the injuries clients at HHJ Trial Attorneys have experienced include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a neck injury that occurs when the head is suddenly and violently jerked forward and then backward. This type of injury often occurs in car accidents and can cause damage to the muscles, ligaments, and nerves in the neck, leading to pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion. In severe cases, whiplash can cause chronic pain and disability.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a type of brain injury caused by a blow or jolt to the head. This can occur in car accidents, falls, and sports injuries. TBI can range from mild (concussion) to severe (coma or even death) and can result in a wide range of symptoms, including headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion, memory loss, and difficulty concentrating. In severe cases, TBI can cause permanent cognitive or physical disabilities.
- Fractures: Fractures refer to broken bones, which can occur in any part of the body. In car accidents, fractures most commonly occur in the limbs, ribs, and spine. Fractures can range from mild (hairline fracture) to severe (compound fracture), and can cause pain, swelling, bruising, and limited mobility. In severe cases, fractures may require surgery or immobilization in a cast.
- Lacerations: Lacerations are cuts or scrapes caused by broken glass or other debris during a car accident. These injuries can range from mild (superficial cuts) to severe (deep wounds that require stitches). In addition to pain and bleeding, lacerations can also increase the risk of infection.
- Burns: Burns are injuries caused by thermal or chemical exposure, such as in a fire or explosion. In car accidents, burns can occur when a vehicle catches fire or when chemicals are released. Burns can range from mild (first-degree burns) to severe (third-degree burns), and can cause pain, blistering, scarring, and even death in severe cases.
- Internal injuries: Internal injuries refer to damage to internal organs, such as the lungs, liver, or spleen. These injuries can occur in car accidents due to blunt force trauma or penetration by broken glass or other debris. Symptoms of internal injuries may include pain, swelling, nausea, vomiting, and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, internal injuries can be life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries refer to injuries to muscles, tendons, and ligaments, such as sprains and strains. These injuries can occur in car accidents due to sudden impact or whiplash. Symptoms of soft tissue injuries may include pain, swelling, stiffness, and limited range of motion. In severe cases, soft tissue injuries may require physical therapy or surgery.
- Psychological injuries: Psychological injuries refer to mental health conditions that can arise after a car accident, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety. These injuries can be just as debilitating as physical injuries and can interfere with a person’s ability to function normally. Symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares, avoidance behavior, and mood changes.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries refer to damage to the spinal cord that can result in temporary or permanent paralysis. These injuries can occur in car accidents due to blunt force trauma or compression of the spine. Symptoms of spinal cord injuries may include loss of sensation, loss of movement, and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, spinal cord injuries can be life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.
- Amputations: Amputations refer to the loss of a limb or other body part as a result of the accident. These injuries can occur in car accidents due to crushing or severing of body parts.
It is important to note that some injuries may not be immediately apparent after a car accident, and it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident to ensure that any injuries are identified and treated.
It’s possible for a auto accident to happen at any given time anywhere in San Diego. However, our car accident lawyers in San Diego have noticed that there is a trend in the locations where these dangerous accidents tend to happen including:
- The intersection of 6th Avenue and Broadway is now considered the most dangerous in San Diego for pedestrians, according to a report by Circulate San Diego.
- Camino Ruiz and Reagan Road is an intersection with a high accident rate, especially considering its proximity to a high school.
- Cesar E. Chavez Parkway and National Avenue is a busy intersection close to highway entrances and exits, making it a high-risk area for accidents.
- Linda Vista Road and Glidden Street is surrounded by numerous apartment complexes and businesses, including a child daycare center, making accidents all too common in this area.
- Market Street and 30th Street is a busy intersection near two bus stops and a highway entrance/exit, with a relatively large distance for vehicles to cover.
- The intersection of Mission Boulevard and Felspar Street is located near several businesses and three bus stops, making it a popular area for pedestrians and a high-risk zone for accidents.
- 54th Street and University Avenue is one of the most perilous intersections in San Diego, with a high accident rate involving pedestrians and cyclists.
- West Point Loma and Abbott Street is a hazardous intersection due to poorly placed and conflicting traffic signs.
- 5th Avenue and A Street is a dangerous downtown intersection near a freeway entrance, with pedestrians being especially vulnerable to fast-moving cars.
- 2nd Avenue and Cedar Street is a high-risk area for pedestrians, with several confusing traffic signs and the freeway ending nearby.
- University Avenue’s intersections, especially for pedestrians, see a high volume of commercial traffic and distracted drivers, leading to increased accident risk.
- El Cajon Boulevard and 36th Street has a poor design, making it difficult to navigate safely, especially at night.
At our firm, we leave no stone unturned when pursuing compensation for our clients. Our experienced San Diego car accident attorneys diligently evaluate all potential avenues for recovery, including:
Liability Insurance Coverage of the At-Fault Driver: California law mandates liability insurance for drivers to cover bodily injury and property damage caused to others. Thus, our initial step is to assess the at-fault driver’s insurance coverage and determine if it adequately compensates our clients for their injuries.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM): If the at-fault driver lacks liability coverage, our clients may be entitled to compensation through their uninsured motorist coverage. UM protects you, your passengers, and household members if the other driver has no liability coverage.
Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM): If your UIM coverage surpasses the at-fault driver’s insurance limits, you may seek compensation from your own policy. UIM can cover the difference between your UIM limits and the at-fault driver’s coverage. Our car accident lawyers will review your insurance policy to identify other available coverage types, such as medical payments, collision, and comprehensive coverage.
Exploring Other Sources of Recovery: In some cases, the accident might be caused by dangerous road conditions or defective auto parts. We diligently evaluate the liability of other parties not directly involved in the accident but potentially contributing to it. This assessment helps identify additional sources for recovery on behalf of our injured clients.
Our commitment to thoroughness ensures that we exhaust every available legal option, striving to secure the compensation our clients deserve. With our extensive experience, we navigate complex cases to safeguard our clients’ rights and maximize their recovery.
When involved in a car accident that was not your fault, the responsibility for compensation falls upon the other driver’s insurance company. In situations where the negligent driver lacks adequate insurance coverage, your own auto insurance provider may step in to offer compensation. However, it’s important to note that insurance companies often try to swiftly settle with accident victims, aiming to minimize payouts.
Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your case, seeking guidance from an experienced attorney is crucial to ensure fair treatment. Hastily accepting a settlement is rarely in the best interests of the victim. At our firm, we recognize the significance of conducting a thorough investigation into the accident, thereby constructing a compelling case for potential trial. The stronger your case, the more leverage we have during negotiations, ultimately leading to a higher settlement.
Moreover, the true extent of injuries sustained in an auto accident may not be immediately apparent, sometimes taking time to manifest fully. Such injuries could necessitate prolonged and costly medical treatments. Settling before all injuries come to light may prevent you from seeking proper compensation for those specific injuries later on.
At our firm, we prioritize your well-being and future. We strive to protect your rights and ensure that you receive the compensation you rightfully deserve. With our experienced team by your side, you can rest assured that your case will be handled with care, precision, and a commitment to achieving the best possible outcome for your unique situation.
When it comes to filing a lawsuit after a car accident in San Diego, there are specific time restrictions known as the statute of limitations that define the maximum period within which you must bring your case. However, there are no legal requirements dictating a minimum waiting period before initiating your claim. You have the right to file a lawsuit as soon as you deem appropriate. In fact, initiating your claim early can offer certain advantages, such as locating witnesses while their memories are still fresh.
By promptly reaching out to a lawyer after a car accident, you enhance your chances of gathering essential evidence and establishing a strong case. Locating witnesses and preserving crucial details can significantly impact the success of your claim. At our firm, we emphasize the importance of acting swiftly to protect your rights and interests. Our experienced team is ready to guide you through the legal process, ensuring that you have the support and representation you need from the outset.
For adults who suffer injuries in car accidents, the statute of limitations generally grants a two-year window from the date of the accident to initiate a lawsuit. It is crucial to be mindful of this timeframe as failing to act within the prescribed period could result in the forfeiture of your right to bring a lawsuit. Waiting beyond the two-year anniversary of the car accident may permanently bar you from seeking compensation for your injuries.
While there are some exceptions to this rule, they are rarely applicable, making it even more critical to adhere to the two-year deadline. Filing your lawsuit promptly within this timeframe is imperative to preserve your right to seek the compensation you deserve.
At our firm, we understand the significance of acting swiftly to protect your rights and interests. Our experienced team is ready to guide you through the legal process, ensuring that you file your lawsuit within the necessary timeframe. We stand by your side, advocating fiercely to secure the compensation you need for your injuries. Don’t delay – take action now to safeguard your future.
The statute of limitations for a child injured in a car accident follows a distinct approach. While the timeframe remains two years, it diverges from the typical calculation. Instead of commencing from the accident date, the statute of limitations begins on the child’s 18th birthday. As a result, children injured in car accidents have a two-year window starting from their 18th birthdays to bring forth claims for damages, extending until their 20th birthdays to file claims.
However, exceptions to this rule do exist, making it imperative to seek counsel from an experienced lawyer promptly if your child has sustained injuries in a car accident. Understanding the nuances and potential exceptions to the statute of limitations is crucial to protecting your child’s rights and securing the compensation they deserve.
At our firm, we recognize the complexity of child car accident claims and the importance of acting proactively. Our team of skilled attorneys is here to assist you, ensuring that you adhere to the appropriate timelines and navigate the legal process with confidence. Your child’s well-being is our priority, and we are dedicated to securing the best possible outcome for their future. Reach out to us without delay to safeguard your child’s rights and pursue rightful compensation.
Car accidents are unexpected and can impact even the most cautious drivers. While you can’t control the negligence of others on the road, you can control your actions following a car crash.
After an accident, the crucial first step in your recovery for personal injuries is to consult an experienced car accident attorney who will safeguard your rights and pursue the rightful compensation you deserve.
At HHJ Trial Attorneys, we bring a wealth of experience in assisting car accident victims and their families throughout San Diego. Our clients trust us with their cases, allowing them to focus on their recovery. We take great pride in the professional, personalized, and amicable service we provide to each client who seeks our assistance. Our dedicated attorneys take the time to listen and understand how the accident and resulting injuries have affected their lives, and we work diligently and assertively to resolve their cases efficiently.
When you choose HHJ Trial Attorneys, you choose a team that is fully committed to securing the best possible outcome for your car accident case. Our proven track record of success and unwavering dedication to our clients make us the right choice to protect your interests and fight for the compensation you deserve. Reach out to us today, and let us advocate for your rights while you focus on your recovery.