Car accidents can be devastating events that result from the speed and size of vehicles. Even moderate-speed collisions can result in harm to individuals involved. At HHJ Trial Attorneys, we have represented numerous car accident victims and families who have been affected by the carelessness of other drivers on the road. Our clients have suffered from a range of injuries including life-altering harm, paralysis, fractures, concussions, and more, and we have worked to secure them the justice and financial support they deserve.
If you have been injured in a car accident, the car accident lawyers at HHJ Trial Attorneys are here to listen to your story. We have helped our clients move forward, whether by establishing new careers or allowing them the time to heal from their injuries. Our car accident firm is dedicated to fighting for what you need and holding responsible parties accountable for careless actions that have affected you.
Table of Contents
The Causes and Consequences of Sideswipe Accidents on Highways and Intersections
Sideswipe accidents can happen anywhere, but they are most common on highways and at intersections. Negligent drivers who change lanes can collide with your car and impact your tire, leading to a loss of control. These types of accidents often escalate into severe crashes with the potential for significant injury and damage to multiple parties. Causes of sideswipe accidents include failing to check blind spots, improper merging into a lane when another driver is merging from the opposite direction, merging onto a highway without adjusting speed to match traffic, and much more. Other factors include distracted driving, such as using a phone while driving, excessive speed, and driving under the influence, which can impair perception and hinder the ability to judge distance and speed.
The impact of a sideswipe can range from a minor scrape to a catastrophic crash. To avoid such incidents, it’s crucial to stay alert and aware of your surroundings on the road. If another driver appears to be approaching too closely, take defensive measures by adjusting your speed. In the event of a sideswipe collision, it’s advisable to reach out to our legal team for the next steps.
Establishing Driver Negligence
In order to successfully make a claim for negligence, you must demonstrate that the driver had a responsibility to exercise reasonable care and failed to do so, resulting in an accident that caused harm to you. To build a strong case, it is important to have evidence of the breach of duty and evidence of any injuries sustained. However, if you were also at fault for the accident, it may impact the amount of compensation you receive or even disqualify you from receiving any compensation. Additionally, without evidence of injury, you cannot seek damages for personal injury. If you are uncertain about how to prove negligence, our team of lawyers can guide you through the process.
Consequences of Sideswipe Accidents
Sideswipe accidents can cause serious outcomes, including being pushed off the road and crashing into obstacles like other vehicles, road hazards, light posts, telephone poles, buildings, and more. Even a minor collision can cause a loss of control and lead to an accident. Some of the possible injuries sustained in a sideswipe include:
- Fractured bones
- Nerve damage
- Head injuries, such as concussions and closed head injuries
- Muscle damage and dislocations
- Spinal cord and neck injuries, including disc injuries and neck pain
- Crushing injuries
- Severed limbs
- Coma or paralysis
- Even death
It is important to take any injuries sustained in a sideswipe seriously and seek medical attention right away. Afterwards, reach out to a qualified attorney who can help you obtain the compensation you deserve for the damages suffered.
Important Steps to Take After a Sideswipe Accident
To ensure the best possible outcome after a sideswipe accident, it is important to follow a set of steps. These steps can help you protect yourself legally and increase your chances of receiving compensation for any damages or injuries suffered. The steps to follow include:
- Seek Medical Attention: If you have been hurt, call for paramedics immediately to receive medical attention. It is important to seek treatment as soon as possible, even if you do not feel injured, as some injuries may take a few days to become noticeable.
- Document Evidence: Take photos of the scene of the accident, the damage to your vehicle, and any injuries you sustained. Also, make sure to write down the contact information, driver’s license number, license plate number, and insurance information of the responsible driver.
- Contact the Police: If the accident involved injuries or significant damage, the police will likely be called to the scene. Request a copy of the police report once it has been completed.
- Contact a Lawyer: Instead of trying to navigate the legal process alone, it is recommended to seek the assistance of a lawyer. Our firm can assist you from the time of the accident and through the entire legal process.
- Submit Evidence: Once you have received medical treatment and gathered evidence, our lawyers can submit the evidence to the insurance company and demand compensation on your behalf.
Why Choose HHJ Trial Attorneys for Your Legal Representation
When you’ve been involved in a car accident, it’s essential to focus on your physical recovery. Hiring an attorney can relieve the stress and burden of handling the claim on your own. Our legal team at the HHJ Trial Attorneys will take care of the negotiations and ensure that your claim is managed in a timely and fair manner. Unlike some attorneys who prioritize speed over quality, we prioritize our clients and their well-being. With a proven track record, you can trust that we will provide you with the best possible outcome. Choose an attorney who cares about your best interests, choose us.
The Determining Factors of Your Case Value
The value of your case is determined by the insurance agent who receives the claim. They will consider the physical damages you suffered and use them as the primary factor. The extent and severity of the damages, as well as their impact on your daily life and career, can greatly increase the value of your case. If you were unable to work or if your future job opportunities are impacted by the injuries, you could potentially receive a higher settlement than if you made a full recovery within a few weeks.
If you feel that the offer you received is not fair, you may want to consider seeking a second opinion. Some attorneys may rush cases and settle for low amounts, leading to a loss for you. At HHJ Trial Attorneys, we will review your case and provide an honest assessment of its value. Don’t let a bad attorney cause you to miss out on the compensation you deserve, contact us today.
Time Limit for Filing Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury lawsuits must be filed within two years from the date of injury, otherwise, you will miss the chance to receive any compensation. It can be challenging to keep track of the exact date and time remaining to file a claim, which is why it’s advisable to hire a competent attorney. They can help you file the necessary documents and ensure that all evidence is submitted before the deadline.
However, there are circumstances where the statute of limitations can be extended. For instance, if you were a minor at the time of the accident, the time limit starts counting when you turn 18. In case of severe injuries that impede your ability to seek legal assistance, the deadline begins when you recover. The defendant’s actions can also impact the statute of limitations. If they leave the state to evade the deadline, it will not be extended, but when they return, the time limit starts again. If you need more information or clarification, you can contact HHJ Trial Attorneys.
Compensation for Damages in a Sideswipe Collision Case
If you have been involved in a sideswipe collision, you have the right to pursue compensation for the damages you have suffered. With the help of experienced lawyers, you can claim various forms of damages, including economic and non-economic damages. HHJ Trial Attorneys can help you recover expenses related to medical bills, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and even wrongful death. Do not let the negligent driver go unpunished, and seek the compensation you deserve. Let us help you get the maximum amount possible, and bring you the justice you deserve.
If you have been involved in an intersection accident, a personal injury attorney can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights. An experienced attorney can provide valuable assistance in several ways, including:
- Investigating the accident: Your attorney will gather evidence to determine fault and build a strong case for compensation. This may involve interviewing witnesses, reviewing police reports, and collecting other relevant information.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: Insurance companies are often more concerned with protecting their own interests than with fairly compensating accident victims. A personal injury attorney can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure that you receive the maximum settlement possible.
- Representing you in court: If an insurance settlement cannot be reached, your attorney can represent you in court and fight for your rights. They will have the knowledge and expertise needed to present your case effectively and ensure that your rights are protected.
- Protecting your rights: Personal injury laws can be complex and difficult to navigate on your own. A personal injury attorney will have a thorough understanding of the law and can help ensure that your rights are protected throughout the legal process.
Working with a personal injury attorney after an intersection accident can help you recover the compensation you deserve and bring closure to a difficult situation.
If you were injured or lost a loved one in an intersection accident in California and the other driver was at fault, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills and other expenses. To maximize your compensation, it’s recommended that you speak with a car accident lawyer.
HHJ Trial Attorneys can provide more information on intersection collisions and compensation.