San Diego Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers
- Over 550 combined Google 5-Star Reviews
- Tens of millions won every year for our clients
- We won’t settle for less than the maximum value for your case
- 30 combined years of legal experience
Trusted And Recommended
HHJ Trial Attorneys proudly serve victims who have suffered from serious injuries. HHJ is one of San Diego’s premiere personal injury law firms. We’ve obtained over ten million dollars for our clients within the last 4 years alone and have been voted the Best Litigation Firm for the last 3 years through the San Diego Union Tribune. All three partners have been voted as Super Lawyers and have received coverage from local and national news outlets.
Free Case Evaluation
If you or a loved one has been injured in an electric scooter accident in San Diego, our team of experienced San Diego electric scooter accident lawyers are here to provide the legal expertise and support you need. With years of experience in handling scooter accident cases, our dedicated lawyers have a deep understanding of the complexities surrounding these incidents. We are committed to fighting for your rights and seeking fair compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, and other damages. As residents of San Diego, we take pride in serving our local community and ensuring that victims of electric scooter accidents receive the representation they deserve.
Table of Contents
If you’ve been involved in an electric scooter accident, here are some steps you should follow:
- Check for injuries: Assess yourself and others involved in the accident for any injuries. If anyone is seriously hurt, call for medical assistance immediately.
- Move to a safe location: If possible and if it doesn’t jeopardize anyone’s safety, move to the side of the road or a safe area away from traffic.
- Exchange information: Exchange contact and insurance information with any other parties involved in the accident, including other riders, pedestrians, or drivers.
- Report the accident: Depending on the severity of the accident and local laws, you may need to report the incident to the police. They can create an official report, which may be helpful later for insurance claims.
- Document the scene: Take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to the scooter, other vehicles, or property. This documentation can be valuable for insurance purposes.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you don’t feel seriously injured, it’s essential to get checked by a healthcare professional to ensure there are no hidden injuries or delayed symptoms.
- Preserve evidence: Keep any relevant evidence, such as damaged equipment, clothing, or medical records, that might be necessary for an insurance claim or legal proceedings.
- Notify the scooter company: If you were using a rental scooter, report the accident to the scooter company as soon as possible and follow their instructions.
- Contact your insurance company: Inform your insurance provider about the accident and provide them with all the necessary information.
- Consult a San Diego electric scooter accident lawyer: If the accident resulted in significant injuries or property damage, it may be wise to consult a personal injury lawyer to understand your rights and options.
The rise of electric scooter companies like Bird and Lime has brought about a convenient and eco-friendly mode of transportation in various cities, including San Diego. While electric scooters offer a practical alternative to traditional vehicles, their increasing popularity has also raised concerns about safety.
The allure of electric scooters lies in their compact design and ease of use, making them a favored choice for short-distance travel. However, their lack of protection and safety measures exposes riders to potential accidents involving other vehicles, pedestrians, and road hazards.
According to data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, between 2017 and 2019, electric scooters contributed to an estimated 50,000 emergency room visits and at least 27 reported fatalities. The injury rate stands at 19 per 100,000, with young riders aged 18 to 34 being the most commonly injured demographic.
Although San Diego has fortunately not experienced a fatality resulting from an electric scooter accident so far, medical professionals anticipate that it may be a matter of time. While it is challenging to completely prevent such accidents, implementing enhanced safety measures on the road can help mitigate the accident rates.
As the popularity of electric scooters continues to grow, it becomes crucial for riders, pedestrians, and drivers to be vigilant and prioritize safety on the streets of San Diego. By raising awareness and adopting proactive safety precautions, we can work together to reduce the risks associated with electric scooter accidents and ensure a safer environment for everyone.
Common injuries associated with electric scooter accidents include fractures, sprains, cuts, bruises, head injuries, and concussions. Riders may also experience road rash and other abrasions from falling off the scooter. It’s essential to wear protective gear and follow safety guidelines when using electric scooters to minimize the risk of injuries.
Yes, you can file a personal injury claim after an electric scooter accident if you have suffered injuries or damages due to the accident. Whether you were riding the scooter or if you were injured as a pedestrian or another road user involved in the accident, you have the right to seek compensation if someone else’s negligence caused or contributed to the incident. Our San Diego electric scooter accident attorneys can walk you through the steps that you need to take to ensure that your rights are fully protected each step of the way.
To pursue a personal injury claim, consider the following steps:
- Gather evidence: Collect all relevant evidence related to the accident, including photographs, witness statements, medical records, and any other documentation that can support your claim.
- Identify the liable party: Determine who is at fault for the accident. It could be another rider, a driver, a pedestrian, or even the scooter company if a malfunction or improper maintenance caused the accident.
- Consult a San Diego electric scooter accident lawyer: Seek legal advice from an experienced personal injury lawyer who can guide you through the process, assess the strength of your claim, and represent your interests.
- File a claim with insurance companies: If applicable, notify the relevant insurance companies of the accident and your injuries. This includes your own insurance and, if relevant, the scooter company’s insurance.
- Negotiate a settlement: Your lawyer will work to negotiate a fair settlement with the liable party’s insurance company to compensate you for your injuries, medical expenses, property damage, and any other losses.
- Prepare for litigation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, your lawyer may advise you to file a lawsuit and proceed to court.
Keep in mind that the statute of limitations may apply, limiting the time you have to file a personal injury claim. Therefore, it’s essential to take action promptly after the accident and consult with a lawyer to protect your rights and increase your chances of a successful claim.
After an electric scooter accident, if you successfully pursue a personal injury claim or reach a settlement, you may be eligible to receive various types of damages. The specific damages you can receive will depend on the circumstances of your case and the laws in your jurisdiction. Here are some common types of damages that may be awarded:
- Medical expenses: This includes compensation for past and future medical bills related to your injuries, such as hospitalization, surgeries, doctor visits, medications, rehabilitation, and therapy.
- Pain and suffering: Non-economic damages meant to compensate you for physical pain, emotional distress, and the overall impact the accident has had on your well-being.
- Lost wages: If your injuries caused you to miss work, you may be entitled to compensation for the income you lost during your recovery.
- Loss of earning capacity: If your injuries result in a long-term or permanent disability that affects your ability to work and earn as you did before, you may receive compensation for the diminished earning capacity.
- Property damage: Reimbursement for any damage to your personal belongings, such as clothing, electronics, or other items that were damaged during the accident.
- Loss of consortium: This refers to damages awarded to the spouse or family members for the loss of companionship, care, and support due to the injured person’s condition.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, if the defendant’s actions were particularly reckless or malicious, punitive damages may be awarded to punish the responsible party and deter similar behavior in the future.
It’s important to note that the availability and amount of damages may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the accident, the severity of the injuries, and the applicable laws in your jurisdiction. Consulting with San Diego electric scooter accident attorneys is essential to understand your rights and determine the appropriate damages to pursue in your case.
An electric scooter accident lawyer in San Diego can help you in several ways:
- Compensation for injuries: If you were injured in the accident, filing a personal injury claim can potentially provide you with financial compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other damages related to your injuries.
- Coverage for property damage: If your personal belongings, such as clothing or electronic devices, were damaged in the accident, you may be able to receive compensation to cover the cost of repair or replacement.
- Financial support during recovery: If your injuries result in temporary or permanent disability, the compensation you receive can help alleviate the financial burden of medical treatment and support you during your recovery process.
- Accountability and justice: Pursuing a personal injury claim holds the responsible parties accountable for their actions. It sends a message that negligence or reckless behavior causing harm to others will not be tolerated.
- Improved safety measures: By highlighting the risks associated with electric scooter accidents, your case may contribute to increased safety measures and awareness, potentially preventing similar incidents in the future.
- Preventing future accidents: By seeking compensation and raising awareness, you might encourage others to ride electric scooters responsibly and follow safety guidelines, reducing the likelihood of future accidents.
- Peace of mind: Filing a claim and receiving fair compensation can provide you with peace of mind, knowing that you have taken the necessary steps to protect your rights and interests after the accident.
It’s essential to remember that while a San Diego electric scooter accident lawyer can potentially help you in these ways, the outcome of your case depends on various factors, including the circumstances of the accident and the strength of your claim.