HHJ Trial Attorneys

San Diego Car Accidents & Injury Lawyers

Can a Minor or a Child Recovery Damages if They Have Been Involved in a Car Accident?

YouTube video player


Today we’re going to talk about whether a minor or a child can recover damages if they’ve been involved in a car accident. My name is Adam Hepburn and I’m a car accident attorney in San Diego and one of the partners here at HHJ Trial Attorneys. 


Now I’ve represented many families where their children were actually involved in a car accident and we’re really injured. A minor or child has the same right as an adult does to recover damages for their injuries, now there are a few differences. 


One of them is that the parent has to actually serve as what’s called the guardian ad litem. They are the personal representative of their minor child because the minor has not obtained the age of 18. Also, any sort of settlement that can occur in that case has to go through what is called the minor’s compromise. That means that any settlement has to be approved by the Court and the distribution of funds also needs to be approved by the Court and that is for the protection of the minor. So if your minor or your child has been involved in the accident, it’s important to have an attorney that knows the difference and knows the process to go through. Safely and just, we obtain compensation for your child. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call anytime.


Related post: Damages You Can I Recover After a Car Accident in California 

Related Posts

Recent Articles

trail or settlement
Should You Settle Your Personal Injury Case Out-of-Court or Go to Trial?
December 13, 2022
San Diego’s Best Show Features HHJ Trial Attorneys
March 9, 2021
Super-Lawyer San Diego Winner 2021
Super Lawyer San Diego Winner 2021
March 8, 2021
hire a boat accident lawyer
The Crucial Role of a Boat Accident Attorney in Gathering Evidence and Building a Strong Legal Case
June 8, 2023
Boat accident attorney
7 Ways a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Assist with Your Injuries Due to a Boat Accident
June 30, 2021


Response time within minutes