Car accidents and collisions occur all the time. These incidents almost always will require you to file an insurance claim. However, insurance companies frequently deny claims, which can create certain legal complications. The good news is that the process doesn’t necessarily end after your claim is denied. In fact, you can take additional action to protect yourself including partnering with a car accident attorney in San Diego and obtain the compensation you deserve.
What is an Insurance Claim?
When an accident occurs, whether it’s severe or a minor fender bender, you can file a claim with the insurance company of the at-fault driver (or your insurance provider) so that they will cover the damages. However, you may end up receiving a letter stating that the insurance company denied your claim, or they will offer you a settlement amount that doesn’t accurately capture your pain and suffering. If either of these events take place, it’s critical that you get the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer in San Diego to assist you.
Why Did the Denial Occur?
Although most times the insurance provider will process and validate your claim, there are several reasons why they will deny it. First, they will assess whether or not they have any legal obligations when it comes to covering the damages that occurred as a result of the accident. Keep in mind that some cases are more complicated than others, and there’s no telling what the insurance companies will decide to do.
Listed below are some examples of why an insurance provider may deny your claim:
- You don’t have comprehensive coverage
- The insurance company detects errors/discrepancies in the police report
- They find that you were at fault for the accident
What To Do When Your Claim is Denied?
If your claim is denied, it falls on you to prove that your claim is, in fact, valid. Here are some steps you can take to reverse their decision:
1. Get detailed estimates: Go to a repair shop that you trust and have them calculate the total damages to your vehicle. If you don’t have a mechanic that you personally trust, then ask a friend or family member to refer you to someone.
2. Know your rights: Even if the insurance company doesn’t deny your claim, it’s likely that they will still try to get you to settle for less. They will base their estimate on the current cash value of your car, but you can show proof of the money you invested in your vehicle with receipts and other documentation.
3. Challenge the denial: If you plan on disputing the denial of your claim, make sure you have a valid reason why you are doing so. Avoid signing any paperwork or agree to a settlement until you consider disputing the claim.
Our Car Accident Attorneys in San Diego Can Help You Settle Your Claim
You don’t have to go through this process alone. Instead, take the time to give our car accident attorneys in San Diego a call and schedule an appointment. We serve a wide range of clients throughout San Diego and southern California; each and every week we negotiate settlements on behalf of the victims of serious auto accidents. Get in touch with us today to learn more about how we can help you!
Testimonial from Cassandra, Car Accident Victim
My husband I and I were in a not-at-fault accident, and despite having crystal clear dash cam footage, had trouble receiving help with our claim and medical needs. We contacted HHJ Trial Attorneys and immediately felt put at ease and that our situation would be handled. And it was! Adam and his team were extremely responsive, communication was easy and convenient, and we hardly had to worry about anything.